Health Communication Specialist
Job ID 8666380Date posted 07/13/2018Location Atlanta, Georgia
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-D1-18-10258528
SALARY RANGE: $43441.00 to $83580.00/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2018-07-13 to 2018-07-19
SERIES & GRADE: GS-1001-7/11
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation’s premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office of the Director (OD), Office of the Associate Director for Communication (OADC), Division of Public Affairs (DPA), Digital Media Branch (DMB), in Atlanta, GA.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a Health Communication Specialist you will:
- Draft written materials that respond to inquiries from governmental and nongovernmental organizations and the general public.
- Consult with channel experts and media outlets to research appropriate digital formats for channels and messages.
- Develop, test, and disseminate science- and audience-based products, tools, and messages to different audiences in a variety of formats.
- Research and/or evaluate activities related to health communication and marketing.
- Advise on and contribute to the development of best practices and standards for social media use.
- Maintain effective working relationships with health officials and community representatives to promote and sustain programs.
Q – Nonsensitive
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS “E-Verify” System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
- Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: No
- Research position: No
- Promotion potential: Yes, this position has promotion potential to GS-11. Promotion to the next grade level is at management’s discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
- Supervisory position: No
APPLYING FOR GS-07: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience, at or equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience working with a team that manages social media channels (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc); writing social media or health content; and consulting with experts to research appropriate channel formats
Have one (1) full year of graduate level education from an accredited college and/or university.
Meet one or more of the following Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) criteria: (1) Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision; (2) cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on 4 years of education, or courses completed in the last 2 years of the curriculum; (3) GPA 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 for all courses in your major field of study, or required courses in your major completed in the last two years of the curriculum; OR (4) Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies).
Have a combination of specialized experience and graduate level education that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
APPLYING FOR GS-09: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience, at or equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience participating in a team that manages social media channels, writing social media or health content, and research and use of available digital media channels.
Have a Master’s or equivalent graduate degree OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a graduate degree, LL.B or J.D., if related, from an accredited college or university.
Have a combination of graduate level education and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
APPLYING FOR GS-11: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience, at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience managing social media channels; developing social media and communication plans; and writing and editing social media health content.
Have a PhD, or equivalent doctoral degree OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a doctoral degree or LL.M., if related, from an accredited college or university.
Have a combination of graduate level education and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans’ preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Ability to develop relationships and implement digital health communication projects.
- Knowledge of communication practices.
- Skill in digital media and written communication.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M1-18-10258527 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans’ preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans’ preference, you must also submit an SF-15, “Application for 10-Point Veterans’ Preference” plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans’ preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on “People with Disabilities” please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on07/19/2018 of this announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Additional Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- College Transcript(s), (If substituting education for experience)
- Veterans’ Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.)
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal).
- Schedule A Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate
Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HELPDESK CDC HELPDESK 1600 Clifton Road, N.E. Atlanta GA US 30333 Telephone (770) 488-1725 Fax Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: