Odds are that the email you read this morning travelled over Corning Optical Fiber; the smartphone you used had a Corning cover glass; and the vehicle you took to work had cleaner emissions because of a Corning catalytic convertor substrate.
We are seeking out dedicated engineers who strive to see their work make a difference. If you have a passionate belief in the power of innovation to change the world; if you rate your own success by how many people are touched by your research; and if you are up to the challenge of doing world-class science to make real, profitable advanced materials, then Corning is the place for you.
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
- The Early Stage Process Modeling department in the Manufacturing Technology and Engineering (MT&E) Division is located at Sullivan Park. We offer many challenging and growth opportunities from R&D, E to plant engineering.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- In this role, you will apply first principles and mathematical modeling as tools to provide fundamental understanding and develop/advance process technologies across multiple Corning businesses. You will work primarily in the field of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and heat transfer with focus on process optimization, especially in Surface Engineering and Coating process application. Responsibilities include: analyzing problems, reducing physical problems to mathematical models, carrying out experiments to obtain model inputs or validate models, deriving numerical and technological solutions, and making recommendations. Writing technical reports, publications and IP documents are also expected of you.
- Flexibility is required and travel is project dependent. We travel approximately 0-20% both domestic and internationally.
Required Education and Years of Experience:
- We require a MS or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Mechanical, Chemical or Material Engineering as well at 3+ years in Surface Engineering/Coating Process Modeling.
- Deep knowledge in surface coating/engineering fundamentals and processes
- Expertise in fluid dynamics, heat transfer and CFD
- Knowledge of using Fluent, Flow3D and/or OpenFoam software and Finite Volume Method.
- Experience in scientific programming skills, computing experience and numerical simulation techniques
- Ability to learn Corning’s technologies and processes quickly.
- Ability to work independently and lead a project team.
- Ability to undertake multi-project
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams (R&D, Manufacturing, Commercial)
- Finite Element Experience
- Thin film modeling experience
- Expertise in modeling coating such as spray coating, dip coating and other techniques.
- Expertise with ELSA (Eulerian-Lagrangian Spray Atomization) a big plus
- Knowledge on multiple scale and multi-physics modeling
- R&D and manufacturing experience
- Ability to scope and plan, lead workstreams for complex projects
- Motivating and influencing.
- Are you customer oriented – understanding and satisfying customer needs?
- Result oriented -focused on delivering solutions to meet customer/ projects needs. Does this sound like you?
- How are your project skills – including project management and working with others to achieve project results?
- Do you have great communication and presentation skills? We need to be able to communicate with both scientist and engineers using different modes of communicating.
This position does support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.