Odds are that the email you read this morning travelled over Corning Optical Fiber; the smartphone you used had a Corning cover glass; and the vehicle you took to work had cleaner emissions because of a Corning catalytic convertor substrate.
We are seeking out dedicated engineers who strive to see their work make a difference. If you have a passionate belief in the power of innovation to change the world; if you rate your own success by how many people are touched by your research; and if you are up to the challenge of doing world-class science to make real, profitable advanced materials, then Corning is the place for you.
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
- You as the Process Simulation Engineer would be responsible for advancing modeling capabilities for complex fluid problems encountered in various businesses. You should have a strong foundation in fluid mechanics, viscous flow and a deep knowledge in numerical modeling. You should be proficient in CFD software, especially OpenFOAM to develop customary functionalities. This position requires you to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills for working with globally distributed researchers, engineers in our commercial organizations, and customers.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Participate in technical interaction with process and design engineers to understand their requirements and look for improvements
- Use modeling to help understand the performance of existing and proposed processes and designs, and to interpret the data from experiments
- Translate the product requirements to processes and geometry design requirements
- Develop new modeling tools and capabilities as needed. Collaborate with experimentalists to verify models
- From time to time, lead small technical teams in performing the preceding
- We will have occasional domestic and international travel including travels to Asia and Europe. Expected travel time 10%. Flexibility required
Required Education and Years of Experience:
- We require a MS in Chemical or Mechanical, PhD preferred as well as 2+ years of work experience in relevant field.
- Proven track record of solving a variety of difficult technology problems
- Experience working in an industrial research facility encompassing all stages of innovation
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time
- Demonstrated organizational experience working across multiple cultures and on a globally dispersed and diverse environment
- Proven ability to provide technical mentorship to small teams of high performing scientists
- Deep knowledge and expertise in CFD and heat transfer
- Proficiency in OpenFOAM, able to write code to build custom solvers/libraries
- Experience in programing language such as C++, FORTRAN, or Python
- Familiarity with commercial CFD software such as Fluent and Comsol
- Experience in experiments
- Experience in modeling of non-Newtonian flows and multiphase systems
- Experience with process and product engineering
- Ability to effectively influence technical decisions
- Ability to lead product performance data evaluations, experiments and data analysis
- Skilled at conducting and analyzing product performance experiments using MEE, statistical DOE, 6 sigma DMAIC and others
- What is your ability to influence technical direction via communication and relationship from a remote location?
- Do you have effective leadership, organization, and planning skills, with ability to handle ambiguity, changing priorities and changing requirements?
- How are your analytical skills demonstrated through troubleshooting on product or process related issues?
- Well-developed skills in working across multiple cultures and on a globally dispersed and diverse team. Does this sound like you?
This position does support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.