Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Position:
Provide subject matter expertise in Mechanical Engineering that improves product, process and/or equipment performance (cost, quality and service) and/or advances the innovation process to enable the delivery of new products. Provide solutions for increased process selects, increased material utilization, decreased costs, and improvement to product quality by planning, organizing and implementing projects. Design and analyze first generation / next generation products, processes and/or equipment in support of a new product / technology introduction. Maintains knowledge of the latest developments in their area of expertise in order to identify and document any intellectual property developed as part of a project. Focus is on Gorilla® glass ion exchange, anti-glare, finishing, sagging furnace, and equipment/mechanical design processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership in problem solving, and technical expertise, to ensure timely resolution of short-term equipment issues, and higher level troubleshooting.
- Provides cost and schedule updates on assigned projects.
- Provides general engineering and manufacturing skills and knowledge (understands theories and fundamentals), and capable of leading projects to get to root cause of issues, and put permanent solutions in place.
- Recommends and implements permanent solutions to long term performance issues, and improves existing and new technologies.
- Meets all Environmental, Safety and Health requirements.
- Develops SME knowledge of material, process and/or equipment in focused areas of manufacturing or engineering.
- Designs and/or specifies new equipment or modifies existing equipment to continuously improve process performance.
- Coordinates installation, debugging and initial operation of new equipment and systems.
- Capable of designing new equipment, fixtures, or systems using SolidWorks software.
- Capable of tracking and scheduling projects using Microsoft Project software
Travel Requirements: up to 50% (primarily international)
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8am-5pm
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical degree with focus on mechanical engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 5 years
- Experience with glass technology (melting, forming, finishing, coating, etc.)
- Lean Fundamentals
- Track record of delivering results.
- Broad manufacturing and engineering experiences
- Project leadership (scope to implementation)
- Experience in managing projects including the use of Microsoft Project.
- Exposure to contract manufacturing and machinery
- Ability to design complex systems using SolidWorks CAD
- Project and/or manufacturing financial management knowledge
- Knowledge of Innovation Stage-gate processes
- Ability to learn on the fly
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.