Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
- Are you looking for a meaningful role? As a Software Development Engineer/Scientist, you will have the responsibility to develop, participate on development teams designing, developing, testing and deploying solutions for internal systems. Would participate on project teams using groundbreaking technologies to deploy state of the art software solutions across all Corning businesses.
- You will also participate in internal and external working groups to advance the use of emerging software technologies within Corning.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work with team to develop system requirements, establish design constraints, and set priorities.
- Build software solutions for internal customer projects.
- Participate in brainstorming and other ideation activities related to software development.
- Help develop Software and Software Project management best practices (from coding best practices to project management, unit test, archive management, etc…).
- Communicate development, testing results and project progress to team members and leadership.
- Integrate new systems and technologies into Development and Manufacturing systems.
- Transfer new technologies to equipment and process receivers, provide remote system support, and develop system documentation.
- This role provides you the opportunity to do some domestic and international travel based on project: 0-40%.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Flexibility – 40 hours per week and as required by project (e.g. during system installation and production start-up).
- Deep knowledge developing on a wide variety of embedded processor family types
- Experience developing on embedded processors using various operating systems
- Experience testing / debugging embedded software using various hardware tools such as oscilloscopes, etc.
- Experience working with hardware teams to assist in architectural and design choices impacting both the hardware and software architecture.
- Experience interfacing embedded processors to sensors or external peripherals using various communication protocols (IIC, SPI, RS232, Ethernet, etc.)
Windows Dev. Skills:
- Skilled in C#, Visual Studio, Microsoft DotNet programming experience for manufacturing or commercial applications
- Experience writing and managing development to requirements
- Experience designing, reviewing, and producing design content via UML diagrams
- Experience writing parallel / multithreaded applications using Microsoft TPL / windows threading
- Experience interfacing DotNet managed code to unmanaged code
- Experience developing user interfaces using DotNet Windows Forms
- Experience developing user interfaces using WPF (lower priority)
- Experience developing in layers emphasizing the separation of business logic from GUI display (MVC / MVVM a plus)
- Experience using a variety of source configuration management tools and collaborating in multi developer team environments
- Experience profiling software application performance
- Experience with unit test frameworks
Data System Interface Skills:
- Experience setting up, managing and interfacing to databases from Windows applications
- Experience using Windows Entity Framework (desired)
- Experience interfacing to data systems via OPC, Ethernet IP, etc.
- We require a BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related field
- Are you independent with the ability to apply critical thinking to complete formidable problems?
- Do you have the ability to build professional relationships in a cooperative and multi-cultural environment?
- Can you be effective in working across diverse functional groups including research, engineering, operations, and maintenance and in a heavily matrixed environment?
This position does support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.