Data Engineering Manager
US – California – Thousand Oaks
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
We have world-class cross-functional staff across the globe including sales and marketing, regional medical liaisons, oncology nurse specialists and customer account teams to ensure our discoveries go from bench to bedside.
This position will be primarily responsible for:
• Ensuring rapid access to new and existing data assets
• Building high-performance algorithms, prototypes, predictive models and proof of concepts
• Researching opportunities for data acquisition and new uses for existing data
• Overseeing end to end data integration and curation including building quality into the process
• Creating prototypes and demonstrations to better access and utilize data assets
• Employing a variety of languages and tools (e.g. scripting languages, big data tools) to marry systems together
• Collaborating cross-functionally with stakeholders to ensure a superb user experience throughout the data integration process
• Managing back-end data configuration
• Creating data models and solutions architecture in collaboration with IS and external partners
• Defining processes for managing access to data sets
• Triaging issues and working with external partners as needed
• Developing tools and training on data sets and access
• Collaborating to design, construct, install, test and maintain highly scalable data management systems
• Ensuring systems meet business requirements and industry best practices
• Collaborating on definition and implementation of disaster recovery procedures
• Recommending and implementing ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
• Collaborating with data architects, modelers and IT team members on project goals
• Verbally presenting analysis ideas, progress and results to IS peers and business partners.
• Providing high quality ongoing support; answering questions, resolving problems and building solutions.
• Assuring compliance with regulatory, security, and privacy requirements as it relates to data assets
• Serving as an internal consultant on commercial data and data quality management
• Identifying, recommending and driving continuous improvement in database reporting and analysis processes
Master’s degree and 2 years of statistical modeling, data mining and/or information systems experience
Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of statistical modeling, data mining and/or information systems experience
Associate’s degree and 10 years of statistical modeling, data mining and/or information systems experience
High school diploma/GED and 12 years of statistical modeling, data mining and/or information systems experience
• Master’s degree in Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Applied Physics, Statistics, or Operations Research
• 3+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience with databases including relational, NoSQL, and Graph
• Programming experience with Ruby, Python, SAS, R or statistical software (SPSS and Matlab)
• Detail-oriented technical aptitude with strong logical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
• Excellent organization/planning skills and talent for managing many large and complex datasets.
• Ability to prototype data driven solutions to problems
• Ability to collaborate with business partners and other IS resources to drive analytic projects end-to-end.
• Ability to communicate analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
• Experience working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools (Spark, HBase, Hive, etc.)
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients — we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission – to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.