Postdoctoral Position at Tokyo College
1. Job Title
Postdoctoral Fellow (Project Researcher) at Tokyo College, the University of Tokyo
2. Field of Expertise
Tokyo College is looking to invite researchers from broad range of fields under the research theme, “The Earth and Human Society in 2050”, and carry out interdisciplinary collaboration to contribute to the realization of sustainable and inclusive future of humanity. Applicants’ field of expertise should be related to one of the following research focuses.
A. Digital Revolution and Future of Humanity
B. Tackling the Planetary Boundaries through Interdisciplinary Approaches
C. Japan Viewed from Inside and Outside
D. Humanities in 2050 – World Philosophy, World History and World Literature –
3. Job Description
Postdoctoral researchers are expected to;
- pursue their own research objectives through interdisciplinary collaborations both within and without the University of Tokyo,
- actively attend or host research seminars at Tokyo College,
- conduct research activities at the University of Tokyo, but are also encouraged to travel overseas for research collaborations and dissemination of their research results,
- acknowledge Tokyo College as your affiliation in every research outputs, including papers and articles,
- accept that their names, photographs and basic information about their field of expertise to be posted on the Tokyo College website,
- accept that if they take part in a public lecture hosted by Tokyo College, their presentations may be recorded and posted on the Tokyo College website.
The appointment starts from October 1, 2019 at the earliest and is for three years without an extension foreseen. However, the start date is negotiable.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in a related field
*Applicants scheduled to obtain a Ph.D. degree before the starting date are eligible.
- Good communication skill in English
6. Compensation & Benefits
Annual gross salary is within the range of JPY 6,000,000 – JPY 7,000,000, depending on seniority or expertise, plus benefits.
- Commuter allowance: maximum JPY 55,000 per month
- Social Insurance: Eligible for MEXT* Mutual Aid Association membership, employees’ pension, unemployment insurance, and workers’ accident compensation insurance. (*MEXT: Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
- Vacation: Annual paid vacation, sick leave (paid), special vacation (paid)
- Research fund: Maximum JPY 1,000,000 per annum will be provided which can be used to cover research related expenses, including books or references, travel expenses, etc.
- Relocation support for researchers from overseas: Tokyo College will provide support including obtaining working visa and finding accommodation.
7. Employment Status and Working Hours
In principle, employed full-time by the University of Tokyo; normal working hours of full-time employees are 7 hours and 45 minutes per day. The working hours may be made more flexible by adopting discretionary labor system (exemption system) for this position and is subject to the employees’ discretion.
8. Place of Work
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8654 JAPAN
Saturdays and Sundays, statutory public holidays of Japan, Year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 through January 3), summer holidays
10. Applications and Selection Process
Applications deadline: May 31, 2019 (First deadline) *Applications will be accepted until suitable candidates are found.
11. Application Materials:
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Publication list
- At least 2 letters of recommendation
- Research statement (within 4 pages/A4 or letter size)
- Names of the University of Tokyo faculty who you would like to be hosted by.
Submission: The application materials should be uploaded via Academic Jobs Online.
Selection Process: All applications will be screened, and only those deemed qualified will be scheduled for an interview (on-site or via video).
* Submitted documents will not be returned.
* Travel cost will not be paid for the screening processes.
* The University of Tokyo is committed to gender equality employment.
Tokyo College is a brand new scheme of collaboration for members of the University of Tokyo to discuss and create a shared vision of an ideal future with people from across the globe and to take action together to pursue its realization. Leading scholars, promising young researchers and influential intellectuals from overseas will gather and stay at Tokyo College. There, they will have frequent opportunities to exchange ideas with our scholars and students, creating synergy and generating new knowledge, which will help us shape our future. Knowledge created by these activities will be delivered immediately to the public through lectures and seminars organized by Tokyo College.