W A Ranches within Ancillary Services is currently seeking two (2) Recurring Part-time Agricultural Lease Range Riders.
This position reports to the Ranch Manager, and will have two main responsibilitites; cattle management on leases, and fence repair and maintenance. Range Riders are expected to work independently on identified agriculture leases, while communicating and taking direction from the Ranch General Manager. They will spend the majority of their time working alone on leases and will be responsible to plan their work hours and meet deliverables.
The incumbent will need to bring their own equipment (horses, truck, trailer, fuel) to work at the assigned leases.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Performing tasks with cattle in a low stress environment
- Manage cattle on identified leases
- Report any issues with cattle, leases or fencing to Ranch General Manager
- Ensuring cow/calf herd is healthy, productive, and accounted for by riding through pastures and performing health checks
- Check fences and repair as necessary
Qualifications / Requirements:
- High school diploma
- 5 – 7 years of farm and ranching experience
- Experienced working with cattle in a low stress, appropriate pressure environment; understands and appreciates cattle and horse behaviours
- Experienced in working cattle horseback in a timbered range environment
- Able to 'doctor' cattle horseback using a rope
- Valid driver's license and experience hauling trailers
- Able to ride horses, rope, and pasture treat animals
- Able to work within a team environment, give and receive feedback, and get along with various personality types
- Able to work alone in remote and/or wilderness areas
- Experience in fence repair
- Ranch/farm safety is a priority
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Strong situational awareness
- Self motivated, organized
Application Deadline: July 16, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the General Job Family, Phase 4.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
About University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a publicly funded research-intensive university founded in 1966, with 14 faculties offering more than 250 academic programs, and more than 50 research institutes and centres. As one of Canada’s top comprehensive research universities, UCalgary combines the best of university tradition with the city of Calgary’s vibrant energy and diversity. Our main campus occupies a beautiful setting with a view of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains, and covers more than 200 hectares — an area larger than Calgary’s entire downtown. In 2016, UCalgary was ranked as one of the top 200 universities in the world by QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education World University Rankings.