The Development and Alunni Engagement currently seeking a Full-time Regular Director, Alumni Programs & Services.
Last Fall, the University of Calgary launched Wherever Life Takes You, an alumni engagement strategy that aims to vigorously strengthen our relationship with all alumni while growing the next and future generations of alumni leaders. To that end, we are focused on high impact engagements that touch the greatest number of alumni in the most meaningful ways. The Director of Alumni Programs and Services will play a critical role in developing, delivering and evaluating robust and relevant programming within 5 areas of focus: Alumni Career Development, Volunteer Engagement, Life-Stage Programming, Community Building and Philanthropy.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President [AVP], Alumni Engagement and Partnerships, the Director, Alumni Programs and Services is responsible for delivering an alumni-centric experience across all UCalgary Alumni programs, events and services. The Director will inspire and mentor the programs and services team to create a program for all stages of the alumni life cycle. They will work closely with colleagues throughout the university to provide thoughtful integration of alumni programming in other initiatives. They have regular interaction with the Vice President, Alumni Association Board, and other alumni leaders in the community, as well as faculty-based alumni professionals. The incumbent also serves as a leader within the broader Development and Alumni Engagement team and will represent the Alumni office with professionalism in the university and the community.
The Director must think creatively and strategically while providing day-to-day leadership for the programs and services team, ensuring that all team members are supported and enabled to achieve their individual program goals. They must be up-to-date on current trends in program development and ensure that the UCalgary Alumni program is balanced, innovative and high quality. He/she will possess a well-founded propensity to challenging the status quo, while appreciating the importance of effectively managing organizational change.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Lead the Alumni Programs and Services team in developing, implementing, and maintaining a yearly program and services plan
- Provide expert recommendations/solutions related to program design and ensure consistency of an alumni-centric experience across all programming
- Provide education and support to the team, managers and staff related to alumni programs and engagement to ensure consistency throughout business practices
- Define clear outcomes for the programs, identify performance measures and follow a regular review and evaluation process to support continuous improvement
- Collaborate with related University departments to maximise partnership opportunities
- Engage a wider network of alumni and community relations professionals by liaising with others in the industry to review best practices
- Ability to make data driven decisions
- Actively seek best practices within post-secondary education and beyond that may be suitable for the UCalgary Alumni program
- Challenge the status quo within the alumni programs and strive for enhancement, while appreciating the importance of effectively managing organizational change
- Apply insights gained across a variety of internal programs as well as from external sources
Management of Staff
- Lead a growing team of alumni professionals who provide day-to-day management of, and support to, a variety of campus-based and community programs
- Supervise staff including hiring, delegation of work, performance management, and disciplinary action up to and including termination
- Develop, maintain and model positive working relationships with faculty, staff and students
- Actively work on strategies to promote staff engagement, problem solving and following through as appropriate to ensure positive outcomes for all stakeholders
- Ensure staff members are well trained, competent, supported in their work, and encouraged in their development
- Ensure staff members develop collegial, positive, high trust working relationships with each other and all work effectively as a team
- Foster a service-oriented approach
Financials and Reporting
- Develop and manage the alumni program budgets and business services
- Work with the AVP, Alumni to articulate spending priorities, monitor adherence to budget commitments, and investigate discrepancies
- Develop cost monitoring procedures to assure maximum coverage at the least possible cost to the University and its staff
- Collect, analyze, and present statistical and financial plan data and identify trends
- Provide regular updates, including written reports and data collection, to the AVP, Alumni and other groups as required
Qualifications / Requirements:
Undergraduate degree is required
Minimum of 7-10 years of experience managing staff and leading projects
Experience in community or alumni engagement is essential, and a strong understanding of post-secondary environments is a definite asset
Experience leading in a complex organization focused on superior customer service and effective stakeholder relations
Outstanding communication and facilitation skills
Strong inter-personal skills and ability to develop positive relationships at any level
Proven track record of managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
Established success in building consensus and influencing teams made up of peers and individuals that do not have direct reporting relationships
Financial acumen necessary to manage program budgets and business services is required
Must be flexible, have some ability to travel and be able to work outside of normal business hours
Described as confident, focused, accountable, results-oriented and a people-person
Possess a natural sense of curiosity, a keen understanding of meeting customer needs, manage and collaborate well in a learning organization, demonstrate an openness to new ideas and feedback, and appreciate the importance of meeting clearly defined outcomes
An understanding of, and a passion for, working within a performance management culture is critical
Application Deadline: July 30, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Management Career Band, Level 3 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about Careers in Development and Alumni Engagement visit Careers in Development and Alumni Engagement.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
About University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a publicly funded research-intensive university founded in 1966, with 14 faculties offering more than 250 academic programs, and more than 50 research institutes and centres. As one of Canada’s top comprehensive research universities, UCalgary combines the best of university tradition with the city of Calgary’s vibrant energy and diversity. Our main campus occupies a beautiful setting with a view of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains, and covers more than 200 hectares — an area larger than Calgary’s entire downtown. In 2016, UCalgary was ranked as one of the top 200 universities in the world by QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education World University Rankings.