About the Department
Imagine transforming the face of biomedical research and building world-class protein technology platforms in a state-of-the art facility. That’s what we do at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI). Our scientists apply cutting-edge technologies to early discovery projects within the diabetes and obesity areas, with the goal of bringing molecules to market. Such projects include identifying protein-based therapies for obesity, diabetes, and adjacent therapeutic areas, and researching the next generation of medical devices. At the NNRCSI, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions.
The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop in their careers. You’ll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we’ve cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package, generous benefits, and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
Obesity is a complex, chronic disease that has a profound impact on health and well-being and is associated with a decreased life expectancy. This role will contribute to obesity innovation by identifying and exploring new targets and principles to treat obesity. This role is part of a team of dedicated scientists that all work on specific scientific questions in relation to obesity for instance regulation of the body weight set-point.
This position is a 2-3 year’s term role located in Seattle, Washington and reports to a member of the Obesity Research Unit leadership team. Internal relationships include working with research employees, project managers, as well as colleagues in Diabetes & Obesity Research in, Novo Nordisk Inc. (NNI), Novo Nordisk A/S, and Novo Nordisk Beijing. External relationships include those with business partners, industry associations, legislative bodies, and focus patient representative groups.
- Provide scientific direction as well as design, coordinate, and execute on biological/pharmacological experiments
- Perform target validation, target maturation, and evaluation of drug candidates including mode-of action studies
- Support various obesity research projects feeding into a diversified obesity project pipeline
- Conduct hands on experiments in relation to specific obesity questions
- Accumulates knowledge and skills to support development and management of research protocols in support of multiple drug discovery efforts
- Achieves business goals, share learnings, knowledge and skills and promote cross-functional teamwork
- Ensures data integrity. Conduct data collection, interpretation and ensure proper documentation of experimental data. Maintain laboratory notebooks
- Completes assignments requiring an expert level knowledge of techniques and practices related to the research area
- Performs either histology and histochemistry research, or in vivo physiology and pharmacology research, or in vitro biology research to support multiple target discovery efforts
- Uses knowledge and experiences to interpret and properly document experimental data
- Works with Department Heads and Scientists to ensure better practice sharing and implementation within the lab
20-30% overnight travel required; May require international travel.
- PhD in Neuroscience, Cell Biology, Integrated Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology or a relevant field of study required
- 2+ years of Post Doc experience required
- Experience includes scientific excellence within obesity, the metabolic syndrome, molecular biology, endocrinology, and/or neuroendocrinology
- Hands-on experience with in vitro models (binding/functional assays) and/or in vivo pharmacology models of obesity preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required
- Must have proven experience accomplishing complex and diversified assignments; exercising independent discretion and judgement
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Must be a strong team player and collaborate across boundaries
- Strong stakeholder management skills required
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer /F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Requisition ID: 60248BR
Job Category: Research
About Novo Nordisk
At Novo Nordisk, we are driving change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions.
Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with more than 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. This heritage has given us experience and capabilities that also enable us to help people defeat other serious chronic conditions: haemophilia, growth disorders and obesity.
Our company culture
The Novo Nordisk Way – who we are, where we want to go and how we work.
Each and every employee is responsible for acting in accordance with the Novo Nordisk Way – and to help each other understand what it means in practice.
A passion for helping people
The story of Novo Nordisk goes back more than 90 years
It began when August Krogh, a Nobel Prize-winning professor at the University of Copenhagen, decided he wanted to start producing a revolutionary new medical preparation called insulin.