We are seeking to hire a Mentor Teacher in Biology (Scientist Rotation) for Summer Residential Governor’s School Program.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
– Spending one month in a stimulating environment working with gifted students who are interested in medical or related health care careers.
– Developing a “Scientist rotation” curriculum in collaboration with the Director and two other rotation mentor teachers. A typical curriculum includes developing critical thinking and teamwork skills as well as wet lab investigations that include basic laboratory safety and techniques, urinalysis, blood typing, ELISA, gel electrophoresis, DNA polymerase chain reaction analysis, bacterial cultures, antibiotic sensitivity, gram staining, etc.
– Coordinating with the two other rotation teacher in presenting the weekly case studies, specifically regarding clinical lab testing procedures and results interpretations.
– Instructing students M-F from 8:30am-3:30pm for approximately three weeks using content modules that align with the case study of the week.
– Accompanying students to academic events (e.g., guest lectures and simulation labs, weekly library research, etc.), and assists with student supervision during the weekdays and possibly some evenings.